Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Chicago Vacation - NEED HELP!


Image by J. Crocker, found on Wikipedia
My family and I are going to Chicago for three days and two nights of high speed tourism (we never were very good at realistic planning...) Anyway, I was hoping someone could recommend a couple good places near the loop to eat well but inexpensively. Most of us are pretty open cuisine-wise, and I really like to try new things. So if anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated :)
The plan is, to see the Museum of Science & Industry, the Field Museum, The Shedd Aquarium, the Notebaert Center, Navy Pier (yay stained glass exhibit!), the Art Institute Gallery, and the quilt show at the Chicago History Museum. (I mentioned we're crazy, right?) Anything else that nine people ranging from eight years old to late fifties would enjoy? We've talked about breaking into groups so that everyone can concentrate on things they are interested in, and we've got five adults to four kids, so plenty of supervision...
The dates are July 30th through August 1st, which means my 34th birthday will be in the Windy City, which is so much better than being at work :D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we were in Chicago in December, Dean and I had the most delicious pizza - real italian style, fresh baked with just sauce & cheese - directly across Michigan Ave from The Bean. Neither of us can remember the name, but it was sort of cafeteria style with sandwiches, pasta, salads, etc. We watched people skating across the street as we ate.

Renee Somebody said...

Hi sweetie- I'll have to try and find that. The family loves pizza!

Anonymous said...

I've been to Chicago twice, for Part 1 and Part 2 of my professional Boards. I recall thinking, "Wow, what a pretty place. Wish I could spend more stress-free time here."

All I remember eating: pizza.

All I remember doing: taking that damned test.

~d said...

Hiya Angel...How are you? and WHERE are you?

Renee Somebody said...

Doug: I like Chicago. Not enough to move there without a bunch of friends, but enough to visit. And the pizza I had while there was memorable in a totally good way!
~d: Overwhelmed, overworked, and out of my mind, but in mostly good ways :)
Now a resident of Americus IN for the next moment in time, up to a year.